Saturday, July 5, 2014

Episode 1: Slumber Party Massacre III (1990)



Hello and welcome to Brandon’s B-Movie Bonanza! I’ve been a longtime fan of horror and cult film, not to mention DVD commentary tracks, so I figured it might be fun to record my own commentary tracks for some of my favorites! This is not meant to be an MST3K or Riff Trax-style endeavor, where I spend 90 minutes cracking lame jokes and poking fun at everything on-screen. This is purely a fan sharing stories about how he came to discover these films, as well as bits of trivia here and there. I do, of course, discuss the story and actors involved, but mostly, I wanted to do this so I could share how these movies touched my life and became such a tremendous part of my formative years. I had nothing to do with the actual making of these movies, so I don’t think it’s necessarily my place to go into detail about their productions (although I’ll definitely toss in a few interesting anecdotes here and there).

For my very first episode, I couldn’t think of a better movie than Slumber Party Massacre III. Not only is it my favorite horror movie of all time, but it’s my favorite movie of all time. Period. What does that say about my taste in film? A lot, thank you very much.

This movie has been a huge part of my life since the first time I saw it way back in the mid ‘90s. In the commentary track, I share stories about how hard it was to track the movie down on VHS, my shock and awe when I discovered there were not one, but two versions of the film (and later, three), and through it, how I discovered one of my favorite leading ladies of the B-film industry, Maria Ford (no relation). So, grab yourself a nice big bowl of popcorn and kick back in your favorite chair. It’s time to watch Slumber Party Massacre III with one of the film’s biggest fans!



Please Note: Seeing as how there are three versions of the film available (a 75 minute R-rated cut, an 80 minute unrated version, and an 87 minute DVD edition), you may find yourself left in the dark if you’re not watching the same cut of the movie I am. For this commentary track, I watched the version included in the Shout! Factory Slumber Party Massacre triple feature, which runs 87:10. This is the ideal version to listen to the commentary with. However, if you have the old Concorde DVD, released way back in 2000, which also runs 87 minuts, that should work fine, too. If you stream the movie on Netflix or any other website, please make sure the 87 minute cut is the version you’ve selected. It has been brought to my attention that the 75 minute R-rated edition has been uploaded to YouTube. This version will not gel with my commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment